Boston, MA / Greater New York Area, NY
Looking to make the power of data accessible to everyone? Then join us. We are ONTOFORCE, a Belgian company and global market leader in the development of ground-breaking semantic search technologies, and our cause seeks to enable users of all backgrounds interested in the power of linked data. Our user-friendly search platform, DISQOVER, makes unique links between data sources so that anyone can explore data easily.
We’re currently looking for a talented and highly motivated Customer Data Scientist to join our Solution Delivery Team.
OUR WORKING ENVIRONMENT
In the customer data team, we handle the semantic integration of data along with the management of open and public, as well as private, data sources. Because more data means more, and better, insights. Alongside us, that is what you can help make possible.
At ONTOFORCE, we adhere to an Agile development environment, giving every co-worker a high degree of freedom, room for initiative, and the possibility to assume responsibility.
THE JOB DESCRIPTION
- The Linked Data Consultant / Field Application Scientist role is scientific as well as technical consulting for our customers. You will put your scientific and technical knowledge to the test, solving real-world scientific problems in life-science areas and beyond. You will advise customers on their data integration challenges by creating efficient solutions. You will translate their requirements into custom data integration approaches.
- You will implement – along with your colleagues – the ETL and semantic integration of data for customer data sources in DISQOVER using semantic web technologies. In other words, you will extract, transform, load, link, and map all types of public and private data.
- You will establish relationships based on trust with our customers by being one of their first points of contact as well as a sparring partner on scientific and technical matters, including user training and product support.
- You will be responsible for implementing the customer’s project on our DISQOVER platform and creating a useful, logical, and helpful user interface. You will be responsible for ensuring the delivery at level of excellence. This involves proper project planning, clarifying, and coordinating to achieve the customer’s goals, when executing the implementation work.
- You will provide training on the software to customers.
- To stay on top of our domain, you will share your knowledge and collaborate closely with software architects and other team members.
- You will help us to continually optimize the ONTOFORCE integration ontology.
- As we work in a global setting with customers all over the world, you’re also prepared to travel occasionally.
- A degree with strong scientific background (Ph.D. level preferred) in bioinformatics, molecular biology, or a similar discipline.
- 5+ years of industry experience; It is preferred that you have previously worked in the fields of pharmaceutical, biotechnology, chemical, contract research, consulting, or scientific software.
- You will be exposed to a range of different people, so you should feel comfortable interacting with customers at all levels (managers, scientists, and IT experts) and be prepared to constantly communicate internally.
- You have excellent oral and written communication skills in English and a customer service compass.
- The role involves scripting and working with UNIX systems, which means that experience with at least one scripting language (preferably Python) as well as a basic familiarity with the UNIX shell environment is required.
A distinct plus would be knowledge of or experience with…
- Familiarity with networks, graph-based technologies, databases, data mining, semantic web, linked data is an advantage, but not strictly required for the job.
- RDF, relational and graph-based database technologies (SQL, SPARQL, etc.).
- Data management and data modeling.
- Several development languages (Java, Python, Perl, C++, etc.).
- Proficiency in distributed version control software (e.g. git, Github).
People we love to work with are…
- Fast learners
- Quality solution driven
- Team players